Optometry is positioned as a primary health care profession involved in the critical, preventive and rehabilitative aspects of eye care. Optometrists, therefore, form an integral part of the primary healthcare team. The Department of Optometry and Vision Science acknowledges its international recognition hence, seeks to provide high standard training for undergraduate and postgraduate Optometry programs and research.
The Optometry program encompasses teaching, research, development and service to mankind with dignity. The program aims at harnessing the rapid advances in technology for the production of skilled expertise in eye care delivery systems both locally and internationally.
The Department of Optometry and Vision Science currently runs a five-year undergraduate program leading to a Bachelor Of Optometry (B.Optom). The graduates of this program will be professionally competent and on an equal professional status with those trained elsewhere in the world. In addition, the department runs a two-year master’s program with students having options to specialize in low vision, contact lenses, binocular vision and pediatric optometry. The department also runs a PhD in Optometry and vision Sciences.
The main objective is to train Optometrists who will acquire profound knowledge, expertise and ethical orientation to practice the profession of Optometry in any part of the world. This is with the view to developing manpower for eye health that will play active role in the eye health team in the elimination of avoidable blindness globally and in particular, Kenya.
By the end of the program, the student will have acquired the necessary skills in provision of comprehensive vision care and management. Specifically, the skills include but not conclusive; skills in provision of visual and ocular diagnostic services, skills in provision of ocular therapeutic services not limited to use pharmacological agents, skills in refraction and dispensing of optical appliances, skills in rehabilitation of the visual system including low vision and orthoptics; For both the undergraduate and postgraduate programs the university has intakes in September and May each year. The qualifications for an undergraduate program are;
- Mean grade of at least C+ at K.C.S.E.
- Passed the subject clusters as indicated: Either a C+ in the following subjects; Biology, Mathematics, Physics and English Or
- B (plain) in Biological sciences, C+ in physical sciences, C+ in English and mathematics Or
- Two (2) Principal passes in Biology and Physics and a credit either in Chemistry or Mathematics at KCSE Or
- Diploma in Optometry from an Institution recognized by MMUST Senate.
For the master program:
- Relevant Bachelor Degree from a recognized University with two (2) years relevant experience
- The program is a two years trimester( three semesters per year) program
For the PhD program:
- Relevant Master’s Degree from a recognized University
You can apply on the Masinde Muliro Universty website https://www.mmust.ac.ke/ through the link